Hull City Council
You are here: Home > Planning > Conservation > [ Listed buildings ]

Listed buildings

A listed building could be a building, statue, streetlamp or even a telephone box. These are added to the statutory protection list by the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport because they have special historical or architectural significance. There are around 450 buildings in Hull on the list.

Listed buildings are classified in grades to show how important they are in relation to each other. Grade I buildings are of exceptional importance, grade II* are of more than special interest and grade II are of special interest.

You can read descriptions of Hull's listed buildings at our offices in Kingston House, Bond Street, or online at Images of England for entries before 2000.

What does listing protect?
When a building is listed, the whole inside and outside of the building are protected, including any object or structure fixed to it (such as fireplaces) and any structure or object within the garden area that has formed part of the land since 1948. The description on the list may not include all features, but they are still protected by law.

Can I alter my listed building?
Even though your building is listed, you can still make certain changes to it. Keeping a building in continuous use is often the best way to ensure it survives. Being on the list protects against demolition and unsympathetic alteration. You much get listed building consent if you want to:

  • demolish
  • add or extend, including conservatories
  • put in new or replacement features, such as doors, windows and gutters
  • use new roofing materials
  • clean, render and paint external walls
  • remove internal or external features, such as chimney stacks, fireplaces, floors, walls and decorative plasterwork
  • work on boundary walls, railings or other structures within the garden area, such as outhouses

You will be committing a criminal offence if you carry out any work which affects the special character of a listed building without consent. You could face a heavy fine or even imprisonment, and could be required to reinstate the building to its former state.

Please contact us if you are considering making any alterations. The earlier you contact us, the more likely you are to end up with an appropriate proposal.

How do I get listed building consent?
You can pick up a free application form from Kingston House, Bond Street. Please include as much information as possible with your application, particularly your reasons for the alterations and what materials you intend to use. There may be a delay if you don't supply enough information.

Once we have received and registered your application we will advertise the details and invite comments from various local and national bodies before granting or refusing consent. This generally takes eight weeks but some applications may take longer. You should allow an extra 28 days if your application is for a grade I or grade II* building, or if it is for total demolition. These applications are referred to the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport. For demolitions, English Heritage must be given the opportunity to record the building. You can appeal to the Secretary of State if your application is refused or granted subject to conditions.

You may also need planning permission and buildings regulation approval in addition to listed building consent. If so, you should submit your planning application at the same time as your listed building consent application. Remember that any alterations or extensions which do not require planning permission may still need listed building consent.

Satellite dishes

Recent years have seen a significant increase in the use and variety of telecommunications equipment, such as satellite dishes (antennas). Much of this needs to be fixed to a building to work efficiently and, in some instances, this will require the permission from us. 

Before you buy or install a satellite dish, you should check whether you need to apply for Planning Permission or Listed Building Consent and whether you need the permission of the landlord or building owner. In certain circumstances, satellite dishes can be installed without the need to apply for Planning Permission under what are known as 'Permitted Development (PD) rights'. The file below gives guidance on the PD rights for the installation of satellite dishes (antennas).

PDF Icon Satellite dishes (size: 460.5 Kb)
(link opens in new window)

Do I have to keep my listed building in good repair?
You should keep it in good repair as you have been entrusted with part of England's heritage. Generally, if you should carry out like-for-like repairs using matching materials, design and form, you do not need listed building consent. If you do not keep the building in good repair we can serve a repairs notice to specify the work needed to bring the building up to a reasonable condition, with a time limit. If you own an unoccupied listed building we can serve an urgent works notice and carry out work ourselves to make a building safe and weatherproof. We can then charge you for the cost of the works and professional fees.

In some cases we can offer small, limited and discretionary grants to help repair listed buildings.

Contact us

For information on listed buildings and grant aid, urban conservation and design and building regulations advice and approvals -

By phone: (01482) 300 300
By fax: (01482) 612 350
Hull City Council
Planning Services
The Guildhall
Alfred Gelder Street

Information leaflets

Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint


The display of third party advertising on this site is not an endorsement or recommendation of any advertiser’s goods or services. The council accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the advertisements nor the quality of the goods or services supplied.


Find my nearest...

Please enter your postcode

City of Culture logo
Visit the City of Culture 2017 website (link opens in a new window)

Hull City Council, Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AA

Sign up for council news and updates Subscribe to our RSS feedFind out about our Twitter profilesFind out about our Facebook pagesOur Flickr channelsYouTube channels

All Information © Hull City Council  2017