Hull City Council
You are here: Home > Planning > Conservation > [ Conservation areas ]
Article 4 Directions 
 See also
Beverley Road Townscape Heritage Scheme

Conservation areas

Conservation areas are places of historical or architectural importance that we want to preserve or enhance. These are not like listed buildings as there are no national standards or grades. Local authorities decide which areas to protect.

In Hull there are 26 conservation areas:
Anlaby Park
Avenues and Pearson Park 
Beverley High Road 
Beverley Road 
Coltman Street
Cottingham Road
Ella Street 
Garden Village 
Georgian New Town
Hessle Road 
Holderness Road (east) 
Holderness Road (west) 
Jameson Street 
Marfleet Village  
Newland Park  
Old Town
Prince's Avenue 
Spring Bank 
Spring Bank West 
St. Andrew's Dock 
Sutton Village

The mapping system shows the location of each conservation area.

We put together a character appraisal for each area saying what is special about it. You can see these and large scales maps showing the boundaries of all the conservation areas at The Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street. You can download some of the character appraisals at the bottom of this page.
What if I live or work in a conservation area?
There are tighter planning controls and obligations in conservation areas that affect demolition work, new development, trees, alterations, additions and extensions, advertisements and signs.
Demolition work
Generally you will need planning permission to demolish unlisted buildings and walls in a conservation area (listed buildings require listed building consent). The main exceptions to this are -

  • the partial demolition of an unlisted building
  • small unlisted buildings of less than 115 cubic metres (4061cubic feet) volume or any part of such a building, other than a pre-1925 tombstone/monument/memorial to a deceased person
  • unlisted walls, fences and railings less than 1m (3 feet 3 inches) high where next to a public open space or highway (including footpaths or bridleways), or less than 2m (6 feet 6 inches) high in other places
  • unlisted agricultural or forestry buildings built after 1914

New development
New development can take place in conservation areas, but it should aim to preserve and enhance the character of the area. This can be achieved through sympathetic conversions of existing buildings and good design.

All trees in conservation areas have special protection, even if they are not covered by a Tree Preservation Order (TPO). You will be committing an offence if you cut down, lop, uproot and wilfully destroy a tree in a conservation area without first giving us six weeks' notice in writing. We will consider what you want to do, the health and age of the tree and the contribution it makes to the character of the area before allowing you to go ahead or imposing a TPO.

You do not need consent for:

  • work on dead, dying or dangerous trees - but you will need to give notice first
  • work done by or for certain statutory undertakers
  • pruning fruit trees in accordance with good horticultural practice 
  • work authorised by planning permission
  • work to trees with a trunk diameter less than 7.5cm (3 inches) - (ie a circumference of 24cm (9.5 inches), or 10 centimetres (4 inches) if thinning to help the growth of other trees,  when measured 1.5 metres (4ft 11 inches) above ground level.

Alterations, additions and extensions (housing*)
Various alterations, additions and extensions can be made to houses, subject to limitations. In addition to these normal planning requirements, the following will always require Planning Permission in Conservation Areas:

  • the cladding of any part of the exterior of a house
  • side extensions
  • rear extensions of more than one storey
  • the enlargement of a house consisting of an addition or alteration to its roof, for example dormers
  • buildings, enclosures, containers and pools at the side of a house
  • chimneys, flues or soil and vent pipes installed on the principal elevation or a side elevation where they front a highway
  • satellite dishes installed on a chimney, wall or roof slope which faces onto, and is visible from, a highway, or installed on a building which exceeds 15m in height

Article 4 Directions
Householders can normally make minor alterations to their houses without requiring planning permission. This is called permitted development. However in some areas, mainly conservation areas, we have removed some of these rights by making Article 4 Directions. There are 21 Article 4 Directions in place in Hull. This does not in itself prohibit any action, but means that the householder must seek planning permission before carrying out certain works. 

Find out more about Article 4 Directions

Please visit the Planning Portal - the government's online service to planning - for a guide to planning permission and building regulations around your home.

* Please note, for businesses see the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister (ODPM) booklet Planning Permission - A Guide for Business.

Satellite dishes
Recent years have seen a significant increase in the use and variety of telecommunications equipment, such as satellite dishes (antennas). Much of this needs to be fixed to a building to work efficiently and, in some instances, this will require the permission from us.

Before you buy or install a satellite dish, you should check whether you need to apply for planning permission or listed building consent and whether you need the permission of the landlord or building owner. In certain circumstances, satellite dishes can be installed without the need to apply for planning permission under what are known as 'Permitted Development (PD) rights'. The file below gives guidance on the PD rights for the installation of satellite dishes (antennas).

PDF Icon Satellite dishes (size: 460.5 Kb)
(link opens in new window)

Advertisements and signs
You need additional consent for all illuminated advertisements in a conservation area, except for medical supplies or services. This will be in addition to normal requirements.

Consent form
If you want to demolish, either totally or partially, any building in a conservation area you will need consent from Hull City Council - even if the building is not listed. There are some minor exceptions to this.

Not sure if the building is part of a conservation area? Contact us - our details are at the bottom of this page.

You can use this consent form, and send it back to us.

Conservation area character appraisals
In designating conservation areas, it is vital that the special interest justifying conservation area status is clearly defined and analysed in a written appraisal of its character and appearance. This is important for assisting the management and development control process for the area.

Beyond their use as planning tools, appraisals also have a much wider application as educational and informative documents for the local community, and for property owners contemplating alterations or repairs.

It must be remembered, however, that no appraisal can ever be completely comprehensive and the omission of any particular building, feature or space should not be taken to imply that it is of no interest or value.

PDF Icon Avenues appraisal (size: 58.8 Kb)
(link opens in new window)

PDF Icon Boulevard appraisal (size: 2.2 Mb)
(link opens in new window)

PDF Icon Broadway appraisal (size: 1.4 Mb)
(link opens in new window)

PDF Icon Marfleet appraisal (size: 1.6 Mb)
(link opens in new window)

Contact us

By phone: 01482 300 300
By fax: 01482 612 350
Hull City Council
Planning Services
The Guildhall
Alfred Gelder Street

Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint


The display of third party advertising on this site is not an endorsement or recommendation of any advertiser’s goods or services. The council accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the advertisements nor the quality of the goods or services supplied.


Find my nearest...

Please enter your postcode

City of Culture logo
Visit the City of Culture 2017 website (link opens in a new window)

Hull City Council, Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AA

Sign up for council news and updates Subscribe to our RSS feedFind out about our Twitter profilesFind out about our Facebook pagesOur Flickr channelsYouTube channels

All Information © Hull City Council  2017