Hull City Council
You are here: Home > Business > Permits, licences and registration > [ Child employment licence ]
Permits, licences and registration

Child employment

The law governing child employment exists to ensure that children are protected and not exploited if they have a part-time job, while still of compulsory school age.

Children from 13 to compulsory school leaving age must have a work permit that they should carry with them when working.

The employer is responsible for the health and safety of the child while at work.

There are limits to the types of employment and times and days that children are allowed to work.

Children in performances

Local authorities are responsible for licensing children who take part in television, theatre, modelling and paid sporting activities in accordance with ‘The Children and Young Persons Act 1963' and ‘The Children (Performances and Activities)(England) Regulations 2014’.

The person responsible for the production of the performance should apply for the licence.

Application should be made to the local authority where the child lives. This may be different to the local authority of the child’s school and where the production is to take place.

The person who signs the licence is the licence holder and as such is responsible for the compliance with the conditions of the licence.

Application must be made at least 21 days before the date of the first performance otherwise the local authority may refuse to grant a licence.

Once the application has been assessed and is all in order, taking into account the current regulations (including the number of hours the child will be required on set and whether there will be any late nights required) and the education welfare service is satisfied that all guidelines are being met, a licence will be issued.

All children that are absent from school for performances will require a licence.

For general information on employing children, contact us on 01482 300 300.

Apply for a licence to employ children

You will need to complete specific application forms if you wish to employ a child in certain types of employment. The application forms and supporting documentation is available to download below.

Please return your application form to the address at the bottom of the page.

PDF Icon Risk assessment (size: 28.6 Kb)
(link opens in new window)

Contact us

Education Welfare
Room 128
The Guildhall
Alfred Gelder Street
Kingston upon Hull

Tel: 01482 300 301
Text phone: 01482 300 349
Fax: 01482 613 235

Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint


The display of third party advertising on this site is not an endorsement or recommendation of any advertiser’s goods or services. The council accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the advertisements nor the quality of the goods or services supplied.


Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint

Find my nearest...

Please enter your postcode

City of Culture logo
Visit the City of Culture 2017 website (link opens in a new window)

Hull City Council, Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AA

Sign up for council news and updates Subscribe to our RSS feedFind out about our Twitter profilesFind out about our Facebook pagesOur Flickr channelsYouTube channels

All Information © Hull City Council  2017