Hull City Council
You are here: Home > Housing > Council housing > [ Council housing rent ]
Council housing
Managing rent arrears 
 See also
Debt and money - help and advice
Housing and council tax benefit
 Web links
HM Revenue and Customs
National Debtline

Council housing rent

One of your responsibilities as a council tenant is to pay your rent on time each week. If you miss your rent payments you are breaching the conditions of your tenancy agreement and we can take legal action against you which may result in you losing your home.

Paying your rent

You can pay your rent in a number of quick and convenient ways.

Find out more about how to pay your council housing rent

We can give you help and support if you need to claim housing benefits. We can also help you to get advice about other welfare benefits and managing debt issues.

Rent arrears

If you fall into arrears with your rent, we will work with you to help you manage your rent arrears by agreeing an affordable arrangement so that you can make up missed payments.

More information on managing your rent arrears

Rent is charged over 50 weeks with two charge free weeks over the Christmas period. If you are in arrears with your rent you are required to continue to pay over the two charge free weeks.

Rent letters

You are sent an annual notification letter in March to tell you what your weekly charge is for the next financial year.

From March we are no longer issuing rent payment cards. The traditional style rent cards can no longer be used to make a payment, all you need to pay your rent is your payment reference number which can be found on your annual rent notification letter or your quarterly rent statement.

If you are registered for Housing Self Service your payment reference number can be found when you sign in.

Register or sign in to Housing Self Service

What your rent pays for

The rent you pay is invested back into housing services such as repairs, caretaking, and cleaning. Your rent also covers the cost of a housing service at local offices, and pays loans we have taken out to improve properties.

Rent statements

All council tenants are sent a quarterly rent statement which shows the weekly payments due, the payments you have made and your weekly balance.

Contact us

Housing Services
Hull City Council
Alfred Gelder Street

Tel: 01482 300 300
Text phone: 01482 300 349

Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint


The display of third party advertising on this site is not an endorsement or recommendation of any advertiser’s goods or services. The council accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the advertisements nor the quality of the goods or services supplied.


Find my nearest...

Please enter your postcode

City of Culture logo
Visit the City of Culture 2017 website (link opens in a new window)

Hull City Council, Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AA

Sign up for council news and updates Subscribe to our RSS feedFind out about our Twitter profilesFind out about our Facebook pagesOur Flickr channelsYouTube channels

All Information © Hull City Council  2017