Hull City Council
You are here: Home > Health and social care > Adult social care > Support to stay at home > ...
Support to stay at home

Equipment and adaptations to the home

If you are disabled or you are experiencing difficulty with daily living activities, specialist equipment and adaptations can help you to remain living independently and safely in your own home. We can provide help to private home owners and council tenants.

There is a range of equipment and adaptations available to help with a variety of day to day tasks, from large equipment like hoists to smaller things such as hand rails. Adaptations and equipment can help you with -

  • getting in and out of bed
  • getting on and off the toilet or in and out of the bath
  • walking up and down the stairs
  • getting in and out of the house

We cannot provide any equipment to you if you have a temporary problem such as a fracture. Please contact the fracture clinic where you were treated or your GP for equipment to help you whilst you recover.


If you feel you are having difficulty with everyday tasks, please get in touch with us on 01482 300 300, email us at or visit your nearest customer service centre.

Find your nearest customer service centre

Once you have contacted us, an occupational therapist will arrange to meet you at your home to assess your needs. The occupational therapist may provide advice about how you can do things differently, or they may find we can help with equipment, aids and/or adaptations.


There is no charge for equipment provided on long term loan.

If you require adaptations to your property, a member of the occupational therapy team will advise you about any cost implication before any work is undertaken.

The occupational therapy team will also advise you on any grants available to contribute to the costs. You may be required to make a contribution for any adaptations following a grant application. You will not be able to apply for a grant for any work that has been undertaken without an assessment being completed.

Disabled facilities grants

If you need adaptations to your home because of your age or a disability, you may be eligible to receive a disabled facilities grant to help towards the cost of the adaptations work. These grants are means tested and can provide up to £30,000 of financial support.

More information about the disabled facilities grant

Equipment removals or repairs

For equipment repair, maintenance and removal contact NRS on 0844 893 6375.

Adapted council properties

If you are interested in becoming a council tenant and you or someone you live with are elderly or disabled, we have a number of existing adapted properties that may meet the needs of you and your family.

To register on our Hull HomeSearch list you will need to complete a Hull HomeSearch application form. You can download this form below –

You can also get a form –

  • by telephoning our call centre on 01482 300 300
  • from your local customer service centre or housing information point

Find your nearest customer service centre or information point
More information about Hull HomeSearch

Medical priorities

If you have a physical condition that means you will need a specific type of property and you are –

  • a council tenant wishing to transfer to another property
  • you are on our Hull HomeSearch list
  • registering to go on the list

You can apply for a medical priority assessment. You can download the medical priority application form below -

Housing association homes

Housing associations offer a range of properties, including some that are specially designed for people with physical disabilities. They may also be able to further adapt their properties to meet your needs.

Find out more about housing associations

Contact us

For more information about requesting an assessment please contact –

Occupational therapy
Adult social care
Hull City Council
Bellfield House
30 Middlesex Road

Tel: 01482 300 300
Text phone: 01482 300 349

For more information about adapted properties, or to apply for any adapted property, please contact –

Housing medical priority section
Service to aid independent living
Brunswick House
Strand Close

Tel: 01482 300 300
Text phone: 01482 300 349

For more information about the disabled facilities grants please contact -

Private housing and adaptations
Hull City Council
The Guildhall 
Alfred Gelder Street

Tel: 01482 300 300
Text phone: 01482 300 349

Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint


The display of third party advertising on this site is not an endorsement or recommendation of any advertiser’s goods or services. The council accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the advertisements nor the quality of the goods or services supplied.


Find my nearest...

Please enter your postcode

City of Culture logo
Visit the City of Culture 2017 website (link opens in a new window)

Hull City Council, Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AA

Sign up for council news and updates Subscribe to our RSS feedFind out about our Twitter profilesFind out about our Facebook pagesOur Flickr channelsYouTube channels

All Information © Hull City Council  2017