Hull City Council
You are here: Home > Business > Permits, licences and registration > Licensing Act 2003 > ...
Licensing Act 2003

Temporary event notice

A temporary event notice is a notification given by an individual to Hull City Council giving notice of an event that is to take place.

Temporary event notices relate to ‘one off’ events where 499 people or fewer will attend, where ’licensable activities’ are planned to take place.

Licensable activities are -

  • Selling alcohol by retail
  • Supplying alcohol by or on behalf of a club to, or to the order of, a member of a club
  • Providing regulated entertainment
  • Providing late night refreshment (i.e. the provision of hot food or drink for consumption on or off premises between 11pm and 5am)


  • The person giving the temporary event notice, the ‘premises user’, must be over 18 years old
  • Personal licence holders may give up to 50 notices per year, up to 10 of which may be 'late' TENs 
  • Non-personal licence holders may only give up to 5 notices per year, up to 2 of which may be 'late' TENs
  • Each event may last no more than 168 hours
  • No premises may be used more than 15 times per calendar year
  • No premises may be used for no more than 21 aggregate days per calendar year in total
  • No more than 499 persons attending the event

Additional limitations

There must be at least 24 hours between events notified by the premises user in respect of the same premises. In addition a temporary event notice is treated as being from the same premises user even if it is given by an associate. An associate is a spouse, child, parent, grandchild, grandparent, brother or sister or their spouses or agent or employee of that person or their spouse.

Provided that the above criteria are met, only the Police or Environmental Health may object to an event covered by a temporary event notice taking place or agree a modification of the arrangements for such an event.

In circumstances where the above criteria are not met, a full premises licence will be required.

Late temporary event notices

There is now a facility that enables a limited amount of late temporary event notices.

A late temporary event notice is one which is given to the authority electronically no later than five working days but no earlier than nine working days before the event.

If a late temporary event notice is given in writing it must be given to the licensing authority and each relevant person no later than five working days before the event and to at least one of the relevant persons no earlier than nine working days before the event begins.

If the police or environmental health objects to a late temporary event notice a counter notice must be issued without the need for a hearing and there is no right of appeal.

Anyone aged 18 or over can give a maximum of two late temporary event notices per year. Personal licence holders can give a maximum of ten late temporary event notices per year.

Procedure for giving a temporary event notice

The premises user will be required to provide both Hull City Council and the Chief Officer of Humberside Police and Hull City Council's Environmental Regulation Department with a copy of the notice of at least 10 clear working days prior to the event taking place.

The notice will include -

  • The licensable activities to take place during the event
  • The period (not exceeding 168 hours) during which it is proposed to use the premises for licensable activities
  • The times during the event period when licensable activities are to take place
  • The maximum number of persons (must be fewer than 499) to be allowed on the premises at any one time
  • If alcohol will be supplied, whether the supplies will be for consumption on or off the premises or both
  • A single premises can be used for licensable activities for 21 days in a calendar year

We will either acknowledge receipt of the notice or, in consideration of any police objection, provide a counter notice saying that the event cannot go ahead.

Police and Environmental Health will be able to object on any of the licensing objectives.

Discussions prior to submitting a temporary event notice

Where it is proposed to hold a major event, organisers are asked to contact the council at an early stage before a formal notice is made. This will enable the Police and Environmental Health to consider and discuss with organisers their operating schedule and avoid potential objections and hold ups.

Planning laws

The giving of a temporary event notice does not relieve the premises user from any requirements under planning law for appropriate planning permission where it is required.


It is unlawful to allow any unaccompanied child under the age of 16 to be present on premises where the temporary event notice is exclusively or primarily used for supply and consumption of alcohol.

It is also unlawful to permit children under 16 not accompanied by an adult between midnight and 5 am into any premises operating under a temporary event notice supplying alcohol for consumption.

Temporary event notices for premises that already hold a premises licence

Temporary event notices can be given for premises that already hold a premises licence or a club premises certificate. For example, to use a pub for an event involving regulated entertainment such as for a wedding, where the premises licence does not authorise such a provision of regulated entertainment. Also it could be used where the premises wants to stay open later than is specified on their premises licence for a particular event.

How to apply

Complete and return an application form, available to download below -

Contact us

Licensing section
Hull City Council
33 Witham 

Tel: 01482 300 301
Text phone: 01482 300 349
Fax: 01482 615 554

Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint


The display of third party advertising on this site is not an endorsement or recommendation of any advertiser’s goods or services. The council accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the advertisements nor the quality of the goods or services supplied.


Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint

Find my nearest...

Please enter your postcode

City of Culture logo
Visit the City of Culture 2017 website (link opens in a new window)

Hull City Council, Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AA

Sign up for council news and updates Subscribe to our RSS feedFind out about our Twitter profilesFind out about our Facebook pagesOur Flickr channelsYouTube channels

All Information © Hull City Council  2017