Hull City Council
You are here: Home > Business > Permits, licences and registration > Licensing Act 2003 > ...
Licensing Act 2003
 Web links
Licensing Act 2003 explained

Premises licence

A premises licence allows licensable activities to take place in any premises or part of it. A premise could be a vehicle, vessel, moveable structure or open space.

Under the Licensing Act 2003, licensable activities are -

  • plays
  • films
  • indoor sporting events with spectators, such as a darts tournament
  • boxing or wrestling entertainment
  • live or recorded music, or providing facilities to make music
  • dance performances or providing facilities to dance
  • late night refreshment, between 11pm and 5am
  • selling or supplying alcohol to be consumed on or off the premises

If you want a premises licence to sell alcohol, you must specify a designated premises supervisor who must have a personal licence.


Fees depend on the rateable value of your premises -

Non-domestic rateable value of premises Band Application fee
No rateable value to £4300 A £100
£4300 to £33,000 B £190
£33,001 to £87,000 C £315
£87,001 to £125,000 D £450
£125,001 and above E £635

For example, if your premises has a non-domestic rateable value between £33,001 and £87,000, this would be band C and you would need to pay £315 for a new licence.

Is your premises in band D or E and will be used primarily or exclusively to supply alcohol to be consumed on the premises. Your application fee will be £900 for band D and £1905 for band E.

How to apply

  • fill in and submit a premises licence application
  • send the appropriate fee
  • send a plan of the premises
  • if you intend to supply alcohol, you must send a form of consent from the person who wants to be the designated premises supervisor
  • advertise the application - see the advice booklet below for more information on how you should do this
  • give a copy of the application and supporting documents to each of the responsible authorities listed in the advice booklet below

Download the documents below to apply, or find out more in the guidance booklets. You will need to send copies of your application to several different responsible authorities - read the premises licence guidance booklet for details.


If any of the responsible authorities or interested parties make objections to your application, we will arrange a hearing before a licensing sub-committee. If no objections are made, we must grant your application.

Contact us

Licensing section
Hull City Council
33 Witham 

Tel: 01482 300 301
Text phone: 01482 300 349
Fax: 01482 615 554

Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint


The display of third party advertising on this site is not an endorsement or recommendation of any advertiser’s goods or services. The council accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the advertisements nor the quality of the goods or services supplied.


Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint

Find my nearest...

Please enter your postcode

City of Culture logo
Visit the City of Culture 2017 website (link opens in a new window)

Hull City Council, Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AA

Sign up for council news and updates Subscribe to our RSS feedFind out about our Twitter profilesFind out about our Facebook pagesOur Flickr channelsYouTube channels

All Information © Hull City Council  2017