Hull City Council
You are here: Home > Business > Permits, licences and registration > Licensing Act 2003 > ...
Licensing Act 2003
 Web links
Personal licences - Department for Culture, Media and Sport

Personal licence

A personal licence allows someone to supply alcohol, or to authorise the supply of alcohol. Personal licences are separate from premises licences, so licence holders can move freely between premises.

Personal licences relate only to alcohol - it is not required for other licensable activities, or supplying alcohol under a club premises certificate.

It's not necessary for everyone supplying alcohol in a premises to have a personal licence - but the personal licence holder must authorise the supply.

You can only hold one personal licence at a time.

How do I qualify for a personal licence?

You must -

  • be over 18
  • have a licensing qualification accredited by the Secretary of State (or equivalent) - the Department for Culture, Media and Sport (link opens in new window) has a list. Or you must be of a description prescribed in the regulations
  • not have forfeited a personal licence in the last five years
  • have not been convicted of any relevant offence
  • pay the required fee of £37
  • supply a Criminal Records Bureau check, or similar, with your application

Can the police object?

Yes, they can. If the police do object to your application on the basis of preventing crime, they must serve an objection notice to the council within 14 days. If they don't object, or they withdraw their objection and your application meets all the requirements, we will grant the licence.

If the objection notice is lodged, we must hold a hearing to consider the matter unless all parties agree it is not necessary.

How long is a personal licence valid for?

Once granted, it does not expire.

How to apply

Download the documents below to apply for a personal licence or tell us about a change of name or address. You will find the address details and other important information in the guidance booklet below - 

Please note that your personal information will be held and used in accordance with the requirements of the Data Protection Act 1998. We may lawfully disclose information within the council and to other public sector agencies such as the police or Inland Revenue to -

  • prevent or detect fraud or other crime
  • protect public funds
  • ensure the information is accurate

This may include sharing your information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds including the Audit Commission. More details can be found on the privacy page of our website.

Access the privacy page of our website for further information

Guidance notes

Information on the Licensing Act 2003 from your local licensing authority or -

Visit the website to find out more about the Licensing Act 2003 (link opens in a new window)

Please submit the completed form to the licensing authority which granted the licence. The application for the renewal of your licence does not need to be accompanied by a fee or a criminal conviction certificate, criminal record certificate or the results of a subject access search of the police national computer. The licensing authority will acknowledge receipt of your form by e-mail unless you request acknowledgement by post.

Please note that sections 123 and 132 of the Licensing Act 2003 require personal licence holders to notify the relevant licensing authority of a conviction in respect of a relevant or foreign offence (defined in section 113 of the Licensing Act 2003). Please provide this information in section 2 in the box, 'Any further details (including any relevant or foreign convictions)'.

Contact us

Licensing section
Hull City Council
33 Witham 

Tel: 01482 300 301
Text phone: 01482 300 349
Fax: 01482 615 554

Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint


The display of third party advertising on this site is not an endorsement or recommendation of any advertiser’s goods or services. The council accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the advertisements nor the quality of the goods or services supplied.


Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint

Find my nearest...

Please enter your postcode

City of Culture logo
Visit the City of Culture 2017 website (link opens in a new window)

Hull City Council, Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AA

Sign up for council news and updates Subscribe to our RSS feedFind out about our Twitter profilesFind out about our Facebook pagesOur Flickr channelsYouTube channels

All Information © Hull City Council  2017