Hull City Council
You are here: Home > Business > Permits, licences and registration > Licensing Act 2003 > ...
Licensing Act 2003
 Web links
Licensing Act 2003 explained

Club premises certificate

Clubs where members have joined together for social, sporting or political purposes, such as Labour, Conservative or Liberal clubs, Royal British Legion, ex-servicemen's clubs, working men's clubs, miners' welfare institutions, social and sports clubs are currently known as 'registered members clubs'. These clubs will be known as 'qualifying clubs' under the new licensing act, and can apply for a club premises certificate.

There are some qualifying conditions for these clubs, which are laid out in the documents below. Generally -

  • people must not become a club member or get any privileges of membership as a candidate unless there are at least two days between the time they apply or are nominated and the time they are admitted
  • people who become members without applying or being nominated cannot get any privileges of membership unless there are at least two days between the time they become a member and their admission
  • the club must be established and conducted in good faith as a club
  • the club must have at least 25 members
  • alcohol must not be supplied to members on the premises unless it is on behalf of the club  - clubs run for profit don't fall into this category and would need to apply for a premises licence. Qualifying clubs don't technically sell alcohol, so there is no need for anyone to hold a personal licence or to have a desingated premises supervisor

Only members and genuine guests can benefit from the facilities offered under the club premises certificate.


If members of the public are admitted to events at the club, you may need a premises licence. If the licensable activities included selling alcohol, a personal licence and desingated premises supervisor would also be needed.

But there are also other options. Any person can give up to five temporary event notices - up to 12 can be held at any club in any one year. Members of the public can then be admitted.

Different licences

A club can run part of the premises under a club premises certificate, and another part under a premises licence - for example, a function room. Members of the public could then be admitted.


The fee you will pay depends on the rateable value of your premises -


Rateable value of premises Band Application fee
No rateable value to £4300 A £100
£4300 to £33,000  B £190
£33,001 to £87,000 C £315
£87,001 to £125,000  D £450
£125,001 and above  E £635

For example, if your premises has a non-domestic rateable value between £33,001 and £87,000, this would be band C and you would need to pay £315 for a new club certificate.

How to apply

Apart from the above differences, the procedures and application arrangements are the same as for the premises licences.

To apply, you will need to -

  • complete a declaration for a club premises certificate to be granted
  • complete a club premises certificate application
  • provide the appropriate fee
  • provide a plan of the premises
  • provide a copy of the club rules
  • advertise the application
  • give a copy of the application and supporting documents to each of the responsible authorities listed in the advice booklet  

Download the documents below to apply, or find out more in the guidance booklets. You will need to send copies of your application to several different responsible authorities - read the premises licence guidance booklet for details.

Objections (representations)

If any responsible authorities or interested parties were to make representations about an application, and they cannot be resolved informally, we will arrange a hearing before a licensing sub-committee to consider the representations. If no objections are made, we must grant your application.

Contact us

Licensing section
Hull City Council
33 Witham 

Tel: 01482 300 301
Text phone: 01482 300 349
Fax: 01482 615 554

Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint


The display of third party advertising on this site is not an endorsement or recommendation of any advertiser’s goods or services. The council accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the advertisements nor the quality of the goods or services supplied.


Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint

Find my nearest...

Please enter your postcode

City of Culture logo
Visit the City of Culture 2017 website (link opens in a new window)

Hull City Council, Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AA

Sign up for council news and updates Subscribe to our RSS feedFind out about our Twitter profilesFind out about our Facebook pagesOur Flickr channelsYouTube channels

All Information © Hull City Council  2017