Hull City Council
You are here: Home > Council and democracy > Feedback or getting involved > [ Customer feedback ]
Feedback or getting involved
Children's services complaints 
 See also
 Web links
Local Government Ombudsman

If it's local be vocal logoCustomer feedback

We aim to provide good quality services and your comments are important in shaping those services to meet your needs.

We are pleased to get your comments and views, and aim to use what you tell us to make improvements. To help us do this, we have a customer feedback scheme so that you can compliment us, make comments about what we do, raise concerns and make complaints.

Whether we are good, bad or indifferent we want you to tell us where we are going wrong as well as when we are doing a good job.

If you want to give us feedback you can use the online customer feedback form below –

Compliments, comments, concerns and complaints


When we get a compliment we will tell the people you are pleased with. We will tell you when we do this and show others what you think we do well.


If you complain about why we do things, not what we do, we will treat that as a comment not as a complaint. We welcome your suggestions as to how we can improve the services we deliver to you. 


You may wish to tell us to look at something to help avoid a problem happening.

When we get a comment or concern, we will -

  • make sure it reaches the right people to look at it
  • tell you when it was sent to them
  • tell you, where possible, what action may be taken as a result once we know what that action is.

We may publish compliments and comments in some of our publicity. We will not publish your details if you ask us not to.

We also welcome petitions, access our petitions scheme available at the link below for more information.

More information about our petitions scheme


Our definition of a complaint is 'an expression of dissatisfaction with the council’s quality of service – whether that service is provided directly by the council or by a contractor or partner – that calls for a response.'

However other complaint related procedures sometimes apply instead. We will let you know if this is the case.

Wherever possible, we will agree a suitable solution and carry it out as soon as possible. We will also try to avoid the same thing happening again.

When dealing with your complaint we promise we will -

  • keep you informed
  • treat you fairly
  • look into your case fully and properly

A mediation procedure is available to help try and resolve complaints.

Mediation is an informal but planned way of resolving disputes based on building and keeping a working relationship between the parties. An independent, skilled mediator helps the parties to discuss all the relevant issues to reach a signed settlement agreement which covers the interests and priorities of both parties.

Find out more about mediation by downloading the document below.

PDF Icon Mediation process (size: 179.9 Kb)
(link opens in new window)

Complaints procedure

Stage one

We will let you know we have your complaint within three working days and aim to send a full response within 10 working days. If we need more time, or signed permission from the complainant if you complain on their behalf, we will tell you when we expect we can answer in full.

When you have our full answer, if you are happy or if we do not hear from you within 28 days, we will close the complaint.

Stage two

If you are not happy tell us why. A different person will look again at your case, using your additional information to help us. We aim to send a full response within 20 working days.

When you have our full answer from stage two, if you are happy your complaint is resolved or if we do not hear from you within 28 days, we will close your complaint. 

After stage two

You can end your complaint under the council’s procedure and take steps to contact the Ombudsman relevant to your case or you can ask if a panel of elected members of the council can look at your complaint.

Member panel

If you are still unhappy after stage two you can request that a panel of elected members looks at your complaint. Not every case can go in front of the panel. Your request will be looked at carefully and you will be told, within 20 working days, if it can or not. If it can you will be invited to state your case and can bring a friend or family member. You do not have to come in person. You will usually be given the outcome at the end of the meeting.

When you have our answer, if you are happy your complaint is resolved, or if we do not hear from you within 28 days, we will close your complaint.

Please note: If you ask us for a next stage review after your complaint was closed (outside the 28 day timescale) please tell us your reasons for the delay.

This ends the council's complaints procedure

If you are still dissatisfied after the council’s complaints procedure has finished, you can use the relevant contact details below -

The local Government Ombudsman
PO Box 4771

Telephone: 0300 061 0614        
Fax: 024 7682 0001  
Text ‘callback’ on: 0762 480 3014

Textphone via the Text Relay service (formerly Typetalk)

Tenants complaining about the council landlord services -

a ‘designated person’ – someone who can try to help you resolve your complaint or help refer you, with your consent, to the Housing Ombudsman Service (contact details below). This can be your local -

  • councillor
  • member of parliament
  • independent Tenants’ Complaints Panel

Housing Ombudsman Service
Exchange Tower
Harbour Exchange Square
E14 9GE

Telephone : 0300 111 3000 (available Monday to Friday between 9.15am and 5.15pm)       

Designated persons

If you are a council tenant who has exhausted the council’s complaints procedure and your complaint is about the council as your landlord, you can contact a ‘designated person’ to work with you to find a solution to your issue. A designated person can assist by trying to help resolve the complaint with the council or by referring your case (with your permission) to the Independent Housing Ombudsman.
A designated person can be a local councillor, local MP or a designated Tenants Complaints Panel.

Find out who your local councillor is

Find out who Hull's members of parliament are

Designated Tenants’ Complaints Panel

This is a free, independent panel made up of local tenants.

Telephone number: 01482 612 010

Details are available in the leaflet about the Designated Tenants’ Complaints Panel available to download below -

Please note: The Ombudsman will not normally consider a complaint which has not completed the council’s complaints procedure

Complaints to the Housing Ombudsman do not have to be referred by a designated person, but if not there must be at least eight weeks from the end of the council’s complaints process before the Housing Ombudsman will consider the case.

Contact us

If you want to give feedback to the council about its quality of service, you can use the online customer feedback form below -

Alternatively -

  • write to us at -

             Freepost RSJC-KKBE-ABXZ
             Hull City Council
             Customer Feedback Team
             P.O. Box 15
             HU1 2AB

Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint


The display of third party advertising on this site is not an endorsement or recommendation of any advertiser’s goods or services. The council accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the advertisements nor the quality of the goods or services supplied.


Find my nearest...

Please enter your postcode

City of Culture logo
Visit the City of Culture 2017 website (link opens in a new window)

Hull City Council, Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AA

Sign up for council news and updates Subscribe to our RSS feedFind out about our Twitter profilesFind out about our Facebook pagesOur Flickr channelsYouTube channels

All Information © Hull City Council  2017