Hull City Council
You are here: Home > Transport and streets > Parking > Parking enforcement > ...
Parking enforcement
 Web links
The Parking Penalty Tribunal

Challenge your parking penalty

If you feel your penalty charge notice (PCN) has been issued incorrectly, you have 28 days from the date your notice was served to appeal.

How to appeal

If you have received a notice to owner the appeal process is detailed below under the notice to owner heading.

You can make an appeal online using the form below. If you have supporting evidence, you are able to attach up to three files. These files must not exceed 20MB in total.

In the event that the online form is not accessible the only alternative is to present an appeal in writing to the address below.

Challenge your parking penalty (link opens in a new window)

You can also write a letter of appeal and send it to -

CPE Hull
PO Box 474

It is important to understand that the criminal courts are not involved with the decriminalised parking enforcement. A vehicle owner who is issued with a PCN must either pay the charge or win an appeal in order to bring the PCN debt to a close.

What happens next

Your appeal is considered by a member of the parking appeals team and if we accept your appeal the case will be closed.

If we decide that your appeal is not valid, we will write to you to explain why it has been rejected and offer a further discount period to pay the penalty. You will also be informed of your right to make a formal appeal.

For a timetable or more information about the appeal process visit the PATROL website (link opens in a new window)

Appealing when a notice to owner (NTO) is received

If a penalty charge notice has not been paid within 28 days of issue, a notice to owner (NTO) is posted to the registered owner of the vehicle. This is a legal document and is a requirement of the legislation under which parking enforcement operates.

The notice to owner gives information about why the penalty charge notice was issued, it also details how to make formal representations to contest the penalty charge notice.

Use the link below to appeal when a NTO has been issued the owner.

Challenge your parking penalty (link opens in a new window)

Alternatively, the owner can complete, sign and date the notice and return to the address below.

When the penalty charge is registered with the county court 

If we have not received payment for your penalty charge notice within 106 days from the date it was issued, we will registered the charge with the county court. You will then receive an order of recovery giving you 21 days to make the full payment or appeal against the court registration by filling out a witness statement with the Traffic Enforcement Centre.

There are only four grounds for which you can file a witness statement -

  • you did not receive the notice to owner or penalty charge notice

  • you made representations about the penalty charge to us within 28 days of the service of the notice to owner, but did not receive a rejection notice

  • you appealed against a decision made to reject your representation, within 28 days of service of the rejection notice, but have had no response to the appeal

  • the penalty charge has been paid in full

Once the 21 day time limit expires you may still be able to file a witness statement, but you will have to submit an application to do so.

You can download a copy of the witness statement, out of time application and guidance notes for completing both forms below.

Contact us

CPE Hull
PO Box 474

Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint


The display of third party advertising on this site is not an endorsement or recommendation of any advertiser’s goods or services. The council accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the advertisements nor the quality of the goods or services supplied.


Find my nearest...

Please enter your postcode

City of Culture logo
Visit the City of Culture 2017 website (link opens in a new window)

Hull City Council, Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AA

Sign up for council news and updates Subscribe to our RSS feedFind out about our Twitter profilesFind out about our Facebook pagesOur Flickr channelsYouTube channels

All Information © Hull City Council  2017