Hull City Council
You are here: Home > Housing > Private housing > Private sector landlords > ...
Private sector landlords
 See also
PEAL project

Houses in multiple occupation

A house in multiple occupation (HMO) is a property let to three or more unrelated people. HMOs include student houses, houses occupied by migrant workers, and houses and buildings have been converted to flats and do not comply with the 1991 building regulations although there are some exemptions.
If you are planning to convert a building to an HMO, you may need planning permission.

Find out about applying for planning permission

You may also need building regulations approval.
More information on building control


If you want to rent out a house in multiple occupancy, you may need to apply to for a property licence. New licensing laws came into effect on 6 April 2006, replacing the previous registration scheme.

Mandatory licensing
This applies to all properties which have three or more storeys, with five or more people, forming two or more households, where some or all amenities are shared. Individual flats containing three or more floors, with five or more people, forming two or more households sharing amenities will also be subject to licensing.
Licensing has been introduced to ensure that properties of this description are managed properly and have adequate amenities and fire precautions.

How to apply

If you own or manage such a property with an existing licence, please download and complete the mandatory licence application form below using the guidance notes. Completed forms should be returned to the address at the bottom of this page before the existing licence expires.

If you are applying for a licence for the first time or after the existing licence has expired, please download and complete the mandatory licence application using the guidance notes to help fill in the application -

If you do not hold a valid licence, you risk having to pay back any rent collected for the unlicensed property and a fine of up to £20,000.

Fire Safety

You can find out information on the types of fire precautions necessary in HMOs please read the LACORS fire safety guidance available to download below.

You can also contact the private housing (environmental health) team on 01482 300 300.

Contact us

Private Housing (Environmental Health) Team
Hull City Council
Alfred Gelder Street

Tel: 01482 300 300
Text phone: 01482 300 349

Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint


The display of third party advertising on this site is not an endorsement or recommendation of any advertiser’s goods or services. The council accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the advertisements nor the quality of the goods or services supplied.


Find my nearest...

Please enter your postcode

City of Culture logo
Visit the City of Culture 2017 website (link opens in a new window)

Hull City Council, Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AA

Sign up for council news and updates Subscribe to our RSS feedFind out about our Twitter profilesFind out about our Facebook pagesOur Flickr channelsYouTube channels

All Information © Hull City Council  2017