Hull City Council
You are here: Home > Housing > Housing benefit, council tax reduction > [ Housing benefit ]
Housing benefit, council tax reduction
 See also
Change in circumstances
School meals
Universal credit

Housing benefit

If you are on a low income and need help to pay your rent, you may be able to claim and receive housing benefit.

Who can claim

You may be entitled to housing benefit if you are -

  • below pension age, on a low income (you may qualify even if you do not receive any other benefits) and have savings and capital less that £16,000

  • of pension age, on a low income and have savings less than £16,000 or receive pension credits (as your income, savings and capital would have been worked out by The Pension Service)

Learn how to apply for housing benefit

Find out how quickly my claim or change may be processed

More information about how housing benefit is paid

Check which proofs you need to provide

Social sector size criteria

  • housing benefit, for a person who rents their home from the council or a housing association, is reduced if there are more bedrooms in your home than your household needs.  If you have one spare bedroom your eligible rent is reduced by 14 per cent, if you have two or more spare bedrooms your eligible rent is reduced by 25 per cent.

Find out how many rooms your household needs

Rules to restrict housing benefit for council and housing association tenants 

If you have signed up for a council or housing association tenancy after 1 April 2016 the maximum amount of housing benefit you can receive from April 2018 onwards will be restricted to the Local Housing Allowance (LHA) rate. This means that if your weekly rent is higher than the appropriate LHA rate you will have to pay the difference. For more information contact your landlord. If you are a council tenant information is provided in the document below.

Benefit cap

The benefit cap -

  • applies to people who have not reached the qualifying age for state pension credit. It is a limit on the total amount of benefit they can receive when they are not working
  • is worked out by adding together income from benefits. Where the total exceeds £500 per week for lone parents or couples with or without children, or £350 per week for single adults, housing benefit is capped (reduced) by the excess amount.

Discover more information about the benefit cap (link opens in a new window)

Should you make a claim

You can find out if you should claim by using the benefits calculator below -

More information about calculating your benefit

You do not need to apply to Hull City Council if you made a claim for housing benefit when you applied to -

  • Jobcentre Plus for income support, job seekers allowance or employment and support allowance. Jobcentre Plus will send us all the information you gave them so we can process your housing benefit. If you have not yet received a decision from the Jobcentre Plus they can be contacted free on 0800 055 6688
  • The Pension Service for pension credits, the Pension Service will send us all the information you gave them so we can process your housing benefit. If you have not yet had a decision from the Pension Service they can be contacted free on 0800 991 234.

If your claim with Jobcentre Plus or The Pension Service was over four weeks ago you should apply directly to us to avoid further delay with your claim.

Find out how to apply for housing benefit

Contact us

Hull City Council Revenues and Benefits Service
PO Box 15

Tel: 01482 300 303
Text phone: 01482 300 349

Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint


The display of third party advertising on this site is not an endorsement or recommendation of any advertiser’s goods or services. The council accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the advertisements nor the quality of the goods or services supplied.


Find my nearest...

Please enter your postcode

City of Culture logo
Visit the City of Culture 2017 website (link opens in a new window)

Hull City Council, Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AA

Sign up for council news and updates Subscribe to our RSS feedFind out about our Twitter profilesFind out about our Facebook pagesOur Flickr channelsYouTube channels

All Information © Hull City Council  2017