Hull City Council
You are here: Home > Housing > Housing benefit, council tax reduction > [ Change of circumstances ]
Housing benefit, council tax reduction

Change of circumstances

If you have made an application or are receiving housing and/or council tax reduction, by law you must tell our benefits service of any changes as soon as possible.

If you do not report a changes of your circumstances you could receive too much or not enough housing benefit and/or council tax reduction. If you receive too much you will have to pay this back and further action may be taken against you.

How to tell us about any changes

When you advise us of a change, please provide proof of the change and include any dates and amounts.

More information about proofs

You can tell us about any changes of circumstances by -

  • completing a change of circumstances form that can be downloaded and printed from the links below

  • sending a letter with as much information as possible to our freepost address

  • requesting a home visit by telephoning 01482 300 303

Find out whether you may be entitled to have a home visit

Find out how quickly my claim or change may be processed


Some examples of changes you must tell us about are -

  • you change address or someone moves in or out of your household
  • you or someone in your household starts to receive another income or benefit
  • the amount of income or benefit you or someone in your household receives changes
  • you or someone in your household starts full or part time employment
  • you or someone in your household changes employment, working hours or there is a change to the pay they receive
  • you or your partner have savings of more than £6,000 and they increase or decrease in value
  • you or your partner starts to pay less or more for childcare
  • a child in your household leaves school, education or training

This list does not cover everything that can change, if you are unsure if a change should be notified to us, please tell us anyway.

Starting work

If anyone receiving housing benefit and/or council tax reduction starts work and -

  • the job will last for five weeks or more
  • you have not reached pension age and have been getting income support, income-based jobseekers allowance, severe disablement allowance, incapacity benefit or employment and support allowance (income related) continuously for 26 weeks
  • you are liable to pay rent and council tax for at least four weeks

You will qualify for four extra weeks of housing benefit and/or council tax reduction at the same amount awarded to you before you started work. This is known as extended payment and reduction.

Contact us

Hull City Council Revenues and Benefits Service
PO Box 15

Tel: 01482 300 303
Text phone: 01482 300 349

Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint


The display of third party advertising on this site is not an endorsement or recommendation of any advertiser’s goods or services. The council accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the advertisements nor the quality of the goods or services supplied.


Find my nearest...

Please enter your postcode

City of Culture logo
Visit the City of Culture 2017 website (link opens in a new window)

Hull City Council, Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AA

Sign up for council news and updates Subscribe to our RSS feedFind out about our Twitter profilesFind out about our Facebook pagesOur Flickr channelsYouTube channels

All Information © Hull City Council  2017