Hull City Council
You are here: Home > Housing > Council housing > Right to buy > ...
Right to buy

How to apply to buy your council home

If you would like to apply to buy your council home, you should complete this form and return it to us -

Alternatively you can get a copy of the form by -

If you need help completing the form please contact us. Return your completed form to -

Right to Buy Team
Hull City Council
Warehouse 9
Guildhall Road

What happens next

We will contact you, normally within four weeks, to let you know whether you are eligible to buy your council home (form RTB2). If you are not eligible to buy your home we will tell you the reasons why.

Get an overview of eligibility.


If you are eligible to buy your home, we will arrange for our valuer to inspect it and an assessor to carry out a survey so that we can provide you with an energy performance certificate.

Once the value of your home has been decided, we will send you details of the purchase price, the terms and conditions of sale (known as the Section 125 Offer Notice) and an acceptance form (notice of intention).

If you do not agree with our valuation you can ask for a second valuation. The second valuation will be carried out by the district valuer, an independent assessor – this valuation may be greater than, less than or the same as our valuation.

When applying to purchase a flat or maisonette we will give you an estimate of the service charges you will have to pay during the first five years. We cannot charge you more than this unless inflation increases beyond our estimate.


If you decide you want to buy your home you must return the notice of intention within 12 weeks of receiving your section 125 offer notice. Once we get this we will prepare the legal documents and send them to your legal representative (for example, a solicitor or licensed conveyancer) for approval. This process normally takes approximately eight weeks.

Delay notice procedure

You can serve us with an initial notice of delay (form RTB6) if we fail to issue any legal notices within the government specified deadlines. We must then respond within 30 days, either to give an explanation for the delay or to issue you the relevant form.

If we do not respond within 30 days you can send an operative notice of delay (form RTB8) which means that the rent you pay over the period of the delay will be deducted from the purchase price of your home.

Rent arrears

You can apply to buy your home if you have rent arrears but your rent account must be clear on the day of completion. If your rent account is still in arrears on the purchase day the sale will not complete.


During your right to buy application process, you are entitled to essential and emergency repairs only. We are obliged to keep your property wind and watertight and to adequately maintain the services, for example heating and electrical installations, but we will not carry out window or door replacements, external painting, central heating installations or any other major works.

Contact us

Right to Buy Team
Hull City Council
Warehouse 9
Guildhall Road

Tel: 01482 300 300
Text phone: 01482 300 349

Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint


The display of third party advertising on this site is not an endorsement or recommendation of any advertiser’s goods or services. The council accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the advertisements nor the quality of the goods or services supplied.


Find my nearest...

Please enter your postcode

City of Culture logo
Visit the City of Culture 2017 website (link opens in a new window)

Hull City Council, Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AA

Sign up for council news and updates Subscribe to our RSS feedFind out about our Twitter profilesFind out about our Facebook pagesOur Flickr channelsYouTube channels

All Information © Hull City Council  2017