Hull City Council
You are here: Home > Health and social care > Adult social care > [ Financial advice for adult social care ]
Adult social care
Direct payments 
Personal budgets 

Financial advice for adult social care

Financial assessment

Unlike NHS care, adult social care is not free although most people are not be asked to pay the full cost of their care. Many pay a contribution and we pay the rest. So that we can work out what your contribution should be, we need to do a financial assessment.

Access adult social care factsheets (opens in a new window)

Deferred payments

Some people who consider moving into residential care face having to sell their house to pay towards the cost of their care. If you are in this position, you may wish to consider applying for a deferred payment agreement.

More information about deferred budgets

Personal budgets

A personal budget is an amount of funding paid to you from adult social care which you can spend on the services and support you need to help you live more independently. You can use the money to buy services from the council, from other providers, or both.

More information about personal budgets

Direct payments

If you would like to take control of your support service instead of having it arranged for you, then direct payments may be for you. You can choose to take all or part of your personal budget to manage for yourself and arrange your own care services. The money you choose to use from your personal budget is called a direct payment.

More information about direct payments

Disabled facilities grants

If you or someone that you live with has a disability, you may be eligible to receive financial assistance to pay for adaptations to your home. Adaptations can help you live more independently and can improve access into or around your home.

More information about the disabled facilities grant

Energy efficiency grants

If you are living in fuel poverty, the Warm Zone team can help you to achieve affordable warmth, avoid fuel debt and avoid health problems caused by living in a cold, damp home. Hull Warm Zone offer the three insulation grants to install cavity wall and loft insulation.

If you do not have a working central heating system, a number of funding sources are available to you for heating improvements depending upon your circumstances.

More information about energy efficiency grants

Benefits, allowances and exemptions

Car tax exemption (link opens in new window)

Council tax relief

Constant attendance allowance (link opens in new window)

Disability living allowance (link opens in new window)

Disabled students' allowance

Housing benefit

Incapacity benefit (link opens in new window)

Industrial injuries disablement benefit - accidents (link opens in new window)

Industrial injuries disablement benefit - diseases and deafness (link opens in new window)

Winter fuel payment (link opens in a new window)


Medical costs for war pensioners (link opens in new window)

Pension credit (link opens in a new window)

War disablement pension (link opens in new window)

Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint


The display of third party advertising on this site is not an endorsement or recommendation of any advertiser’s goods or services. The council accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the advertisements nor the quality of the goods or services supplied.


Find my nearest...

Please enter your postcode

City of Culture logo
Visit the City of Culture 2017 website (link opens in a new window)

Hull City Council, Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AA

Sign up for council news and updates Subscribe to our RSS feedFind out about our Twitter profilesFind out about our Facebook pagesOur Flickr channelsYouTube channels

All Information © Hull City Council  2017