Hull City Council
You are here: Home > Health and social care > Adult social care > [ Support for carers ]
Adult social care
Carer's allowance 
Carer's assessments 
Young carers 
 See also
Carers assessment
Children with disabilties
 Web links
Directgov - disabled people
Carers Centre Hull

Support for carers

We recognise the vital importance of carers and the support they provide, both the practical and the emotional. Without carers, many people would not only struggle to stay independent but would become isolated, lonely and depressed. However, caring can be really tough and demanding and we want to give carers the best support we can.

As well as involving you as a carer in the planning of support for the person you care for, we will make sure you can access the information and advice you need and offer you an assessment of your needs. You may also be eligible for support services in your own right if your caring role is having a significant impact on your life.

If you are a carer, find out about the various ways we can support you.

You are a carer if you are spending a regular amount of time looking after or supporting a relative, partner or friend who is unable to live independently and who cannot manage without your help.

Access adult social care Factsheets (opens in a new window)

Request a carer’s assessment

If you are a carer, a carer’s assessment is often the first step to getting the help and support you need.

We recognise and value the work you do. Our aim is to work with you to offer practical help in caring. We can offer this if the person you look after has a high enough level of need.

Find out more about carer’s assessments

If you are a carer, sometimes a little bit of extra money can make a big difference. That’s where direct payments for carers come in. They are payments we can make to people who provide a substantial amount of care to a partner, family member or friend.

Visit the Carer's Information Service website to find out more (link opens in a new window)

Financial support for carers

Carer’s allowance is a taxable benefit for people aged 16 or over who spend at least 35 hours a week caring for someone. The person they care for must be receiving disability living allowance at the middle or highest rate of the care component, or attendance allowance.

More information about carer’s allowance

Getting a break (respite care)

Caring for someone who needs a lot of attention can be very tiring. If you or the person you are a carer for need a break, a short respite care break may be helpful.

More information about respite care

Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint


The display of third party advertising on this site is not an endorsement or recommendation of any advertiser’s goods or services. The council accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the advertisements nor the quality of the goods or services supplied.


Find my nearest...

Please enter your postcode

City of Culture logo
Visit the City of Culture 2017 website (link opens in a new window)

Hull City Council, Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AA

Sign up for council news and updates Subscribe to our RSS feedFind out about our Twitter profilesFind out about our Facebook pagesOur Flickr channelsYouTube channels

All Information © Hull City Council  2017