We are registered as a data controller under the Data Protection Act 1998 as we collect and process personal information about you. Our registration number is Z6005621.
Visit the Information Commissioner Office website to access our data protection notification (link opens in a new window)
This notice explains how we use and share your information to provide services to you.
How we collect your personal information
Personal information may be collected by -
- paper or electronic form
- myAccount or online forms
- face to face (via our employees or partners)
Why we collect information about you
We need to collect and hold information about you to -
- deliver public services
- confirm your identity to provide some services
- contact you by post, email or telephone
- be aware of your needs to provide services that you request
- understand what we can do for you and inform you of other relevant services and benefits
- help us build up a picture of how we are performing at delivery services to you and how these services can be improved
- prevent and detect fraud and corruption through inappropriate use of public funds
- make sure we meet our statutory obligations including those related to equality and diversity, and health and safety
We will always be open and transparent with you about how we use your personal data and who it is shared with. If we do not have enough information, or your permission to use certain information, we may not be able to provide your requested product or service.
How we use your information
We will conform to the Data Protection Act and use your information to -
- perform the service you requested
- carry out law enforcement functions including licensing, planning enforcement and trading standards
- process financial transactions including grants, payments and benefits involving the council, or where we are acting on behalf of other government bodies such as The Department of Work and Pensions
- protect individuals from the risk of harm or injury, where necessary
- allow statistical analysis of data (that you can not be personally identified from) so we can target and plan the provision of services
If you have any questions about how we use your personal details, contact the Information Governance Team on 01482 300 300 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
How we keep your information safe
We respect our responsibility to hold your personal information on your behalf and keep it safe by -
- only retaining it for as longer as needed
- checking that effective safeguards are in place to keep your information secure
- making sure all employees handling your information have had appropriate training
- have processes in place to monitor, identify and deal with misuse by employees
- processing all personal data in accordance with the principles of the Data Protection Act
Who processes your information
Our elected members and employees are only given access to your personal information for the specific purpose for which they are authorised. They may not disclose your personal data to anyone else without your consent unless they are legally obliged or empowered to do so.
If you make a complaint about council services or sign a petition that is presented to a council meeting your personal data may be shared with your local ward councillors, committee members and council employees working in the service concerned.
How we share your information
We may need to pass your information to partner organisations that provide the service. These partners are obliged to keep your details secure through a community charter and use them only to fulfil your request.
If we wish to pass your sensitive or confidential information onto a third party, we will only do so once we have obtained your consent, unless we are legally required to do so, or where we have good reason to believe that failing to share the information would put you or someone else at risk.
We may disclose information to other partners where it is necessary such as to comply with a legal obligation or where permitted under the Data Protection Act. This includes the prevention and/or detection of crime.
We will not pass your personal information to external organisations for marketing or sales purposes or any commercial use without your prior consent.
We will only transfer your personal information overseas where we are obliged to do so by law. Also in certain cases where there is a specific requirement to do so (your consent will be obtained beforehand).
myAccount (customer account)
If you register for myAccount you are asked for personal information such as -
- date of birth
- email address
- telephone number
This personal information is used to process your service requests.
Closure of myAccount
You can close myAccount at any time. Your account will be closed within 28 days of the request.