It is better to talk to us before you spend money on things such as products, labelling, offers, promotions and marketing.
Food standards inspections
We inspect and monitor food businesses regularly, normally without giving notice, to make sure they are complying with food standards regulations.
In an inspection we may check any of the following -
- additives - for example colours and whether they are legal and above the legal limit
- food claims - for example claims of low fat, low salt, low calorie and vegetarian
- contaminants - for example are chemicals and residues present which shouldn’t be
- descriptions - for example if the ham sold is really ham, or whether cheese used is a cheese substitute
- composition - for example checking sausages meet minimum meat and maximum fat levels
- food allergies - checking allergens are correctly labelled
We may take food and ingredient samples for laboratory analyses (to test for things such as composition, additives and nutrition) and check product labels, menus and advertisements.
Where practices or conditions are not satisfactory, we may be able to resolve the matter by providing advice and guidance. As far as the law allows, we will take account of the circumstances of the case and the attitude of the business when considering action unless immediate enforcement action is necessary.
Find out more about enforcement measures
Trading Standards Advice
Tel: public enquiries - 01482 300 300 or business enquiries - 01482 300 301
Text phone: 01482 300 349
Fax: 01482 615 572
We are open Monday to Thursday 9am to 5pm, and Friday 9am to 4.30pm. Please note the trading standards office is not open to the public. If you have an enquiry please make this to trading standards by telephone, text phone, email or post.