Hull City Council
You are here: Home > Business > Health and safety > [ Health and safety investigations ]
Health and safety
 Web links
Health and Safety Executive (HSE)

Health and safety investigations

Investigations of complaints

We investigate health and safety related complaints about any of the following types of premises -

  • warehouses and wholesale shops
  • shops
  • offices
  • hotels, residential homes, restaurants and bars
  • sports and leisure facilities (except those run by the council)
  • consumer services , for example hairdressers and beauticians
  • places of worship

Make a health and safety complaint about one of these businesses

All other types of businesses come under the control of the Health and Safety Executive (HSE). Please contact us if you are not sure which authority is responsible for the premises.

Complaints concerning standards of health, safety and welfare in workplaces will usually be investigated by visiting the premises.

The depth of the investigation will be determined by the investigating officer using their professional judgement. The following factors will be taken into account -

  • the seriousness of the complaint
  • the type of hazard and degree of risk involved, including risk to the public
  • the likelihood of recurrence
  • the previous history of the business or individual subject to complaint

The main objective of the investigation is to promote and secure compliance with health and safety law. This is to make sure that risks to people’s health and safety arising from work activities are properly controlled and that adequate provisions are made for welfare.

Investigations of accidents and other incidents

We also investigate reported accidents and other incidents. The incidents we investigate are -

  • accidents
  • dangerous occurrences (including near misses)
  • diseases
  • deaths and major injuries
  • over seven day injuries - these are accidents resulting in more than seven days off work or unable to do their normal job for more than seven days. This includes any act of non-consensual physical violence done to a person at work
  • gas incidents
  • injuries to members of the public where they are taken from the scene of an accident to hospital

More information about reporting accidents and incidents at work

Following workplace accidents steps are taken by the investigating officer to -

  • determine what went wrong
  • rectify the cause and ensure similar conditions are not repeated
  • motivate management and employees to implement/maintain high safety standards

Health and safety enforcement actions

The findings of the investigation will largely dictate whether or not formal action is required. The formal action which could take place is outlined in the enforcement policy, available to download below -

Contact us

Health and Safety
Environmental Health
Hull City Council
33 Witham

Tel: If you are a business please call 01482 300 301. If you are a member of the public please call 01482 300 300.
Text phone: 01482 300 349
Fax: 01482 615 518

Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint


The display of third party advertising on this site is not an endorsement or recommendation of any advertiser’s goods or services. The council accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the advertisements nor the quality of the goods or services supplied.


Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint

Find my nearest...

Please enter your postcode

City of Culture logo
Visit the City of Culture 2017 website (link opens in a new window)

Hull City Council, Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AA

Sign up for council news and updates Subscribe to our RSS feedFind out about our Twitter profilesFind out about our Facebook pagesOur Flickr channelsYouTube channels

All Information © Hull City Council  2017