Hull City Council
You are here: Home > Business > Health and safety > [ Health and safety complaints ]
Health and safety
 Web links
Health and Safety Executive (HSE)

Health and safety complaints and concerns

If you are an employer or are self-employed, the law requires you to comply with general health and safety legislation (which applies to all working environments) and legislation that relates specifically to your industry. This includes providing essential welfare facilities for your employees.

Find out more about health and safety legislation

How to make a complaint about health and safety

If you consider that your employer’s (or someone else’s) work activity is putting your safety at risk or damaging your health, then you should raise your concerns with that employer or person. If no improvement is made and your safety or health continues to be at risk, then you can report your complaint or concerns to us or the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) depending on the type of business.

We are the health and safety enforcing authority for the following types of businesses in Hull -

  • shops
  • warehouses and wholesale shops
  • offices
  • hotels, residential homes, restaurants and bars
  • sports and leisure facilities (except those run by the council)
  • consumer services, for example hairdressers and beauticians
  • places of worship

To make a complaint about one of these businesses, you can contact us in the following ways -

We will contact you to discuss your complaint, carry out any necessary investigations and let you know of the outcome.

Find out more about investigations

Complain about another type of business

Many other types of businesses come under the control of the Health and Safety Executive (HSE). These include -

  • factories
  • farms
  • building sites
  • nuclear installations
  • mines
  • schools and colleges
  • fairgrounds
  • gas, electricity and water systems
  • hospitals and nursing homes
  • central and local government premises
  • offshore installations

If your complaint is about any of these places, contact the HSE -

Health and Safety Executive
Foundry House
3 Millsands
Riverside Exchange
S3 8NH

Contact us

Health and Safety
Environmental Health
Hull City Council
33 Witham

Tel: If you are a business please call 01482 300 301. If you are a member of the public please call 01482 300 300.
Text phone: 01482 300 349
Fax: 01482 615 518

Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint


The display of third party advertising on this site is not an endorsement or recommendation of any advertiser’s goods or services. The council accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the advertisements nor the quality of the goods or services supplied.


Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint

Find my nearest...

Please enter your postcode

City of Culture logo
Visit the City of Culture 2017 website (link opens in a new window)

Hull City Council, Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AA

Sign up for council news and updates Subscribe to our RSS feedFind out about our Twitter profilesFind out about our Facebook pagesOur Flickr channelsYouTube channels

All Information © Hull City Council  2017