Hull City Council
You are here: Home > Business > Health and safety > [ Accidents at work ]
Health and safety
 Web links
Health and Safety Executive (HSE)

Accidents at work

You have a legal duty to tell the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) of certain types of injury, disease and dangerous occurrence at your work.

The HSE will forward the details of the incident to us. We will investigate the incident depending on its nature, or if there were serious consequences.

Under the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 1995 (RIDDOR), you must report the following work related incidents to the HSE -

  • deaths and major injuries*
  • dangerous occurrences (near misses)*
  • gas incidents*
  • injuries to members of the public where they are taken from the scene of an accident to hospital*
  • over seven day injuries - these are accidents resulting in more than seven days off work or unable to do their normal job for more than three days. This includes any act of non-consensual physical violence done to a person at work**
  • disease***

* These incidents must be reported without delay.
** These incidents must be reported within 15 days.
*** These incidents must be reported as soon as a doctor notifies you of a disease.

Report an accident, disease or dangerous occurrence

You can report an incident to the HSE using the appropriate method below -

  • online - report an incident on the HSE website (link opens in a new window)
  • telephone - call HSE on 0845 3009 923 – (8.30am to 5pm). Please call for fatalities and major injuries only
  • the F2508 forms are available on the HSE website (link opens in a new window)

Keep a record of the incident

You must record details of all reportable incidents (as detailed above). This record can be in any format you wish, such as a file on a computer or in an accident book. You should record the following details -

  • the date and method of reporting
  • the date, time and place of the event
  • personal details of those involved and a brief description of the nature of the event

Contact us

Health and Safety
Environmental Health
Hull City Council
33 Witham

Tel: If you are a business please call 01482 300 301. If you are a member of the public please call 01482 300 300.
Text phone: 01482 300 349
Fax: 01482 615 518

Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint


The display of third party advertising on this site is not an endorsement or recommendation of any advertiser’s goods or services. The council accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the advertisements nor the quality of the goods or services supplied.


Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint

Find my nearest...

Please enter your postcode

City of Culture logo
Visit the City of Culture 2017 website (link opens in a new window)

Hull City Council, Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AA

Sign up for council news and updates Subscribe to our RSS feedFind out about our Twitter profilesFind out about our Facebook pagesOur Flickr channelsYouTube channels

All Information © Hull City Council  2017