Hull City Council
You are here: Home > Business > Business rates > [ Business rates bills and refunds ]
Business rates

Business rates bills, overpayments and refunds

From April 2013, along with all other local authorities, Hull City Council will receive less government grant, but will keep about half of the Business Rates collected locally, providing a financial incentive to improve the local economy. The remainder will continue to go to central government for re-allocation to local authorities through various grants. Central government will continue to set the amount of rates you must pay each year.

How your business rate bill is calculated

Your rates bill is calculated by multiplying the rateable value of your property by a figure known as the rate multiplier, which is set by government. We use the Valuation Office Agency’s (VOA) assessment of your property's rateable value to calculate your business rates bill.

Find out more about your rateable value

For the 2015-16 financial year the multiplier, for properties which do not qualify for small business rate relief, is 49.7 pence per pound. So for example a rateable value of £1,000 x 49.7 pence = a business rate of £497, before any reliefs are applied.

For the 2016-17 financial year the small business non-domestic multiplier will be 48.4 pence per pound. So for example a rateable value of £1,000 x 48.4 pence = a business rate of £484, before any other reliefs are applied.

More information about business rates is available in the business rates leaflet, available to download below -

Register or login to ‘my revenues and benefits’

Overpayments of business rates

You might overpay your business rates if -

  • your company or business moves address and business rates have already been paid past the point when the liability for the vacated property has ceased
  • there has been a change in the rateable value of your business premises
  • there has been a reduction in the charge due to a relief such as small business rate relief
  • you have made been a general overpayment

If you have overpaid your business rates, we will send a refund to you.

How to claim a business rates refund

If you think you may be entitled to a refund please contact us using the business rates advice on line form.

Contact us

Local Taxation
Hull City Council
PO Box 15

Tel: 01482 300 301
Text phone: 01482 300 349
Fax: 01482 613 562

Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint


The display of third party advertising on this site is not an endorsement or recommendation of any advertiser’s goods or services. The council accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the advertisements nor the quality of the goods or services supplied.


Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint

Find my nearest...

Please enter your postcode

City of Culture logo
Visit the City of Culture 2017 website (link opens in a new window)

Hull City Council, Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AA

Sign up for council news and updates Subscribe to our RSS feedFind out about our Twitter profilesFind out about our Facebook pagesOur Flickr channelsYouTube channels

All Information © Hull City Council  2017