Hull City Council
You are here: Home > Business > Permits, licences and registration > Taxi and private hire vehicle licences > ...
Taxi and private hire vehicle licences
 See also
Taxi licensing policy

Private hire vehicle licence

A private hire vehicle can only work from a licensed operator and cannot ply for hire (the vehicle can not be flagged down or hailed in the street and must be pre-booked).

Vehicle requirements

All private hire vehicles must be -

  • in a manufacturers' single standard factory colour
  • less than eight years old from date of first registration
  • any four-door saloon, five-door estate or hatchback with a luggage screen or guard fitted, or a minibus type vehicle
  • able to accommodate adequate seating for at least four persons in addition to the driver and/or up to a maximum of eight passenger carrying seats
  • able to carry at least two medium-sized suitcases without reducing passenger-carrying capacity

Also, a vehicle shall not or be perceived as a London style cab.

Please be aware, we do not licence seating for a vehicle that has 'incidental' seats. This means any seat which is not fixed will not be counted. An example of this would be a Vauxhall Zafira which has seven seats but because two are incidental this vehicle would only be licensed for four and not six seats.

A minibus type vehicle which has been manufactured or suitably adapted to carry wheelchair-bound passengers shall not be more than four years old (from date of first registration) at the date of application and may continue to be used for no more than fourteen years.

In addition, for a minibus type vehicle to qualify for the above, it must also hold an M1 European Whole Vehicle Type Approval Certificate, an M1 National Level Low Volume Type Approval Certificate or a M1 UK Low Series Type Approval Certificate after the vehicle's adaptation for carrying wheelchair-bound passengers.

Any minibus type vehicle which has not been manufactured or suitably adapted to carry wheelchair-bound passengers cannot continue to be used as soon as they become ten years old.

Any vehicle must meet all other conditions and specifications imposed to private hire vehicles.

There are specific internal and external dimensions that also must be met so you may wish to contact us before you buy a vehicle.

How to apply for a vehicle licence

You will need to complete an application form, and give specific details of the vehicle and who owns it. Please note if you are intending to licence a vehicle that has been imported, for example a car from Ireland, you must include the complete vehicle registration document (aka a log book or V5) with your application. We will accept a photocopy if the original is not available.

MOT Exemptions

If you have a Private Hire or Hackney Carriage vehicle licensed by Hull City Council, your vehicle may be exempt from and MOT.

This will apply to all vehicles that have a current private hire or hackney carriage licence and a current compliance certificate. To enable you to tax your vehicle at the Post Office you need to provide a V5 document, current compliance certificate and also complete a V112 Declaration of exemption from  MOT testing form. For more information and to access the form visit the website below

Access the GOV.UK website (link opens in a new window)

Please note that you cannot tax your vehicle online without an MOT.

Vehicle licence fees 2016 - 2017

Vehicle licence £135
Vehicle licence (if applied for during the last three months of the licensing year) £95
Vehicle licence renewal £120 
Replacement vehicle (includes administrartion, replacement ID plate, door stickers and internal window stickers) £50
Transfer of ownership £30
Vehicle compliance test, where required (subject to change) £54.50
Replacement vehicle ID plate (a crime number is also required) £20
Copy of vehicle licence £10.50
Additional vehicle door stickers (per car) £10
Replacement vehicle door sticker £5
Replacement internal window sticker
Replacement internal pouch

The fee to examine the vehicle is the current MOT fee. This is payable at the test centre on the day of the vehicle examination.

Application forms

Contact us

Licensing section
Hull City Council
33 Witham 

Tel: 01482 300 300
Text phone: 01482 300 349
Fax: 01482 615 554

Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint


The display of third party advertising on this site is not an endorsement or recommendation of any advertiser’s goods or services. The council accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the advertisements nor the quality of the goods or services supplied.


Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint

Find my nearest...

Please enter your postcode

City of Culture logo
Visit the City of Culture 2017 website (link opens in a new window)

Hull City Council, Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AA

Sign up for council news and updates Subscribe to our RSS feedFind out about our Twitter profilesFind out about our Facebook pagesOur Flickr channelsYouTube channels

All Information © Hull City Council  2017