Hull City Council
You are here: Home > Business > Permits, licences and registration > [ Performing animals registration ]
Permits, licences and registration
 See also
Animal health

Performing animals registration

Who needs to be registered

The Performing Animals Regulation Act 1925 requires any person who exhibits or trains any performing (vertebrate) animal to be registered with us.

‘Exhibit’ means ‘exhibit at any entertainment to which the public are admitted, whether on payment of money or otherwise’.

‘Train’ means ‘for the purpose of any such exhibition’.

The law covers activities such as circuses, filmmaking, plays which involve animal performances.

The act does not apply to the training of animals for legitimate military, police, agricultural or sporting purposes or the exhibition of these animals in demonstration or similar events.

How much it costs

Registration costs £22.

How to apply for registration

To apply for registration, download and complete the application form below -

Assessments or inspections for registration

Our officers and police officers have power to enter premises where animals are being trained and exhibited.

One of our officers will visit you to establish whether there is any cruelty and neglect connected to the training or exhibition.

What happens after you have applied

When the trading standards service receives your application and fee they will check the application has been completed correctly. They may also check if you have been convicted of offences under this Act, the Protection of Animals Act 1911 or the Animal Welfare Act 2006.

We will contact with you to arrange to visit you. A decision will usually be made at the time of the assessment visit and if successful we will then issue your registration.

If cruelty or neglect is detected we may apply to the magistrates’ courts who can prohibit or restrict the training or exhibition of the animals and suspend or cancel the registration granted under the Act.

How long registration lasts and the renewal procedure

The registration lasts as long as the business proprietor or operator of the business does not change. If a new person takes over the business or the premises changes, then you will need to re-register.

If cruelty or neglect is detected in the training or exhibition of the animals we may apply to the magistrates’ courts that can prohibit or restrict the training or exhibition of the animals and suspend or cancel the registration.

What to do if your circumstances change

You should advise of any changes you make to your registration. This includes changes to the numbers of animals used in any performance or new performances being added. If the changes are so varied, the existing certificate may need to be cancelled and a new certificate issued. Please contact us to inform us of any changes to your registration.

Contact us

Trading Standards
Hull City Council
33 Witham

Tel: 01482 300 301
Text phone:01482 300 349
Fax: 01482 615 504

Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint


The display of third party advertising on this site is not an endorsement or recommendation of any advertiser’s goods or services. The council accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the advertisements nor the quality of the goods or services supplied.


Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint

Find my nearest...

Please enter your postcode

City of Culture logo
Visit the City of Culture 2017 website (link opens in a new window)

Hull City Council, Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AA

Sign up for council news and updates Subscribe to our RSS feedFind out about our Twitter profilesFind out about our Facebook pagesOur Flickr channelsYouTube channels

All Information © Hull City Council  2017