Wilberforce and slavery

William Wilberforce (image/jpeg)

Wilberforce House Museum, opened in 1906 and recently refurbished, is the birthplace of slavery abolitionist William Wilberforce. The museum explores the history of slavery, abolition and the legacy of slavery today. This section explores the history of the house and its former occupants, wilberforce the man and politician and the slavery collections including contemporary issues.

brookes ship poster detail (image/jpeg) Slavery Collections

Hull Museums has many objects relating to slavery and the campaign for its abolition; including paper documents, plantation and slavery records, wedgwood medallions and anti-slavery ceramics. The museums also have collections representing the diversity of richness of West African Cultures prior to Western Slavery. This section explores the interesting and varied Slavery collections, what they can tell us about the history of Slavery and insights they can give into the horrors of the Trans-Atlantic Slave trade.

detail from portrait of Wilberforce (image/jpeg) Wilberforce - The Man

William Wilberforce is one of Hull's most famous sons, and his role in the Anti-Slavery Campaign has left a long lasting world-wide legacy. Although this is his most famous role, Wilberforce was active in many different political and social causes, as well as remaining a devoted family man. This section explores his vast humanitarian role in society, his background and influences, his career in politics and his family devotion, all of which made him the remarkable character he was.

(image/jpeg) Wilberforce House and Hull

Wilberforce House has had a rich and varied history. It had a prime location in the heart of the old city centre on the banks of the River Hull, which made it ideal for the Wilberforce famliy's merchant business. During its lifetime it has also been used as a private residence, a business premises, and lastly as Hull's oldest surviving Museum. This section explores the life of Wilberforce House, its residents and uses, and its position within the town itself.